Students work in teams to promote oral health within their communities. In this multi-quarter course sequence you and your student team will choose a population (children, elderly, people with disabilities) that is experiencing a health inequity and then design and implement a project with the goal of improving their oral health. Typically, oral health education; preventive services such as fluoride and sealants; restorative dentistry; patient advocacy; and referral for expanded dental care are components of most outreach projects.
Programs and partners for 2014-15 in Klamath Falls include:
- Klamath County Corrections
- Link River High School
- Elementary age children enrolled in after school programs
- Pelican Pointe Memory Care
- Migrant children and their families
The International Externship Program (IEP) is the result of a student-led outreach project several years ago. Since 1993 students and instructors have traveled outside the U.S. to provide dental care to communities in need. Learn more about IEP
The International Externship Program is an exciting annual opportunity for a team of senior students and an instructor to travel outside the United States on a dental care mission. Past destinations include Romania, Ukraine, Moldova, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Peru, Guatemala, and Jamaica.
The goals of IEP are:
- To provide quality oral health care and education to people around the world who lack access to such care
- To provide students an opportunity to expand and improve their clinical skills in a setting that requires teamwork, innovation, and flexibility
- To provide a unique cultural learning experience that translates into better preparation for the diverse clients that graduates will treat in clinical settings once they begin their career.
Travel is coordinated through a global medical organization and an in-country partner, and missions last approximately two weeks.
Each student pays a portion of the travel cost. Fundraisers and sponsors help students obtain mission funds.
Most of the students that enter this program have not ventured outside the U.S. borders prior to their IEP experience. The exposure to cultural differences and provision of humanitarian aid often make the trip a life-changing experience. You can see photos of our trips below.