Undergraduate Course Requirements
These may vary from school to school. Pacific Northwest University’s requirements are given here.
- English Composition and Literature: nine quarter hours
- General Chemistry: 12 quarter hours
- Organic Chemistry: 12 quarter hours (4 hours of which can be Biochemistry)
- Physics: 12 quarter hours
- Biological Sciences: 18 quarter hours
Applicants generally need to have a bachelor’s degree prior to starting D.O. school.
Important Sources of Information AACOM
(American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine)
- This web site provides lots of information about osteopathic medicine, DOs, and colleges of osteopathic medicine.
- Osteopathic Medical College Information Book, by AACOM is updated yearly. A hard copy can be purchased, or a free download (PDF, 2.17 mb) is available on the AACOM web site (see above)
(American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service)
- This organization coordinates applications to osteopathic medical schools through their online electronic application service.
(American Osteopathic Association)
- Osteopathic Medical Profession section (link on About Osteopathic Medicine page) has a lot of useful information
Websites of Interest for Potential Medical Students
The American Osteopathic Association’s Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA) currently accredits 25 colleges of osteopathic medicine in 28 locations.
Processing of applications begins in May, 16 months prior to entering medical school. Most schools make admissions decisions on a rolling basis, so apply early. Closing dates for applications vary depending on the school; many are due February 1st, but some are earlier or later.
- Required for all applicants; average MCAT scores for acceptance are 23-27 at colleges listed below.
- Format: verbal reasoning, physical sciences, writing sample, and biological sciences
- Kaplan MCAT website (lots of info on the MCAT and applying to medical school)
- Peterson’s, Thomson Learning MCAT website
Regional Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine
California: Touro University (Vallejo)
California: Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona)
- WUHS has a “Northwest Track” for clinical rotations in Oregon, and at a new campus in Lebanon, OR
Colorado: Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (Parker)
Nevada: Touro University (Henderson)
Washington: Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences (Yakima)