Co-Ed 3-Player Volleyball Rules
Maximum: 3 players
Minimum: 2 players
Mixed Sexes must be on court at all times
EXAMPLE: 1 female + 2 males or 1 male + 2 females or 1male + 1 female
- Each member of the team shall serve in turn.
- The server shall stand with both feet behind the rear boundary line and may not step on or over the end boundary line until after the serve has been hit.
- Side out is declared when a served ball hits the net but does not go over.
- If a player touches the ball, or the ball touches a player, he/she is considered as having played the ball, except on a block attempt.
- It is legal to contact the ball with any part of the body as long as the ball rebounds immediately and does not lay against the body.
- It is permissible to run out of bounds and play a ball before it contacts an object out-of-bounds. Once a ball contacts any object other than a player out-of-bounds, it is considered dead.
- When a ball touches a boundary line, it is considered good.
- Players are not permitted to scoop, hold, or lift the ball. The ball must be clearly hit.
- A ball touching the body more than once in succession is considered as a double hit and is illegal.
- A ball is kept in play if it hits the net and goes over into the opponents court during the volley (including the serve).
- A ball hit into the net by a team may still be kept in play provided that the net is not touched by any player and that they have not hit the ball three times.
- One may play the ball twice during a volley, but not twice in succession, unless played directly off a block.
- If two players contact the ball simultaneously, it counts as two hits and either may play the next shot.
- The ball must be returned over the net in three hits or less.
- Players may not touch the net. If both sides touch the net simultaneously, the ball is declared dead and served again.
- A spiker must contact the ball on his/her own side of the net, but may in the course of his/her follow through cross over but not touch the net. Men must leave behind the 10' line to contact ball.
- Fifteen points wins the game (provided a two-point lead). Rally Scoring.
- Rotation shall be in a clockwise direction.
- Each player shall remain in his/her position on the court until the service is completed.
- Each team is permitted 1 time-out per game. The length of the time-out is 1 minute. Timeouts must be requested of the teams captain. Requests may only be made when the ball is dead.
- Substitutes will be included in the order of rotation. Rotate in at the center back position on the change of service. Previous server rotates out. If both captains agree prior to start, teams may use a sub procedure.
- Rest periods between games of a match shall be two minutes.
- A match in volleyball is complete when one team wins two complete games. Best 2 or 3.
- Choice of side or serve is determined by a coin flip. Winner gets choice of either. The receiving team of the first game serves the second game and then receives again if a third game is played.
- Service: The ball must be tossed or released and must be hit with one hand only.
- Rotation: Each team must always rotate prior to serving, except on the first serve of the game.
- Four touches are allowed only if the first touch by the team was a blocking touch.
- A blocker may reach over the net, but may not contact the ball until it has been directed toward the blockers side. However, the blocker may not spike down while reaching over the net.
- Any player may block or spike, but a soft tap may not land on or inside the ten-foot line. Men must leave the floor behind the 10' line to spike ball.
- Balls hitting the ceiling or objects hanging from the ceiling are always playable. Provided the ball does not enter opponents side after ball hit object or offense has another playable hit.
- Protests: All protests must be made in writing and presented to the IM office according to protest rules # 36-39 in the IM Handbook.
- Participation rules: All teams are expected to follow IM rules # 24-29 which means that the team must be dressed and ready to play. Lineup must be properly recorded by game time.
- Sportsmanship rules: IM Rule # 35 will be strictly enforced. Rosters will be checked regularly. Unsportsmanlike action will NOT be tolerated!
NO Black Soled Shoes allowed on gym floor.
One NO SHOW will put your team on probation. Once on probation, either one additional no show or one forfeit will remove your team from competition.