Oregon Institute of Technology

Oregon Tech Falls in 2OT Thriller at Northwest University

Jan 10, 2014
Oregon Tech Falls in 2OT Thriller at Northwest University

KIRKLAND, Wash. – Northwest connected from long range with under two seconds remaining to tie the game in the first overtime and then outscored Oregon Tech 10-2 down the stretch in the second overtime to earn a hard fought battle by both teams, 95-88, tonight at NU Pavilion in Kirkland.

Oregon Tech used an 8-0 run to open the contest, eventually pushing their way out to a 16-6 advantage with 14:03 remaining in the first half. 

NU battled back to close to four points on two occasions, the second, 19-15, nearing the midway points of the first period.  A triple from Tech’s Derek Evans just under the five minute mark gave the Owls their second double-digit lead of the game at 33-23

NU would get it to six points before Kyle Waits closed out the scoring on a layup with Tech taking a 37-29 advantage into the half. 

Oregon Tech opened up the second half like the first, pushing their way out to a 13 point lead, 44-31, with 17:13 remaining, but NU answered with a 13-0 run over the next three minutes of play to tie it at 44-all.

The teams went back-and-forth from that point.  Tech led by four after a pair of Tanner Manselle free throws, while a Josh Johnson layup gave the visitors a 48-44 lead.  Northwest eventually tied it up and took their first lead of the game, 52-50, after a CJ Carter layup with 9:24 to play. 

The see-saw went to the last five seconds where Brandon Bautista knocked down a pair of free throws to give the Owls a 67-65 lead with four seconds to play.  NU, however, was fouled with 1.9 seconds where Michael Greene connected on both to tie it up.

Tech’s Brandon Bautista received the ball, and two dribbles later, let one go from 45 feet where the ball banked into the basket and popped out sending the game to the first overtime.

In the first overtime the Owls held a four point lead, 74-70, on a Kyle Waits dunk, only to see the Eagles come back to tie.  Tech, leading by one with under nine seconds to play, and the ball, was fouled where Austen Flint went to the line sinking both freebies to put the Owls up 80-77.  NU got the ball in bounds, and with time running out, CJ Carter got off a 25 footer that connected to force the second extra frame.

The teams again went back-and-forth through the first half of 2OT with the score 85-all with 2:20 to play.  NU’s CJ Carter put the Eagles up 87-85 on a layup, as NU would hold the lead for good.

The Owls were able to cut their deficit to three points, 91-88, after a layup and ensuing free throw from Brandon Bautista, but a 4-for-4 effort at the charity stripe while the Owls went dry iced the game for the Eagles.

Four Owls finished in double figures led by 23 points and five rebounds from Derek Evans. Brandon Bautista added 16 points and seven assists with Mihajlo Matic chipping in 15 in the loss.  Kyle Waits recorded a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds.

Next for Tech is a trip to Olympia where the Owls face The Evergreen State College with the tip set for 7:30 p.m.

Back to All News