Laura Schwartz is in her fifth season as a volunteer assistant coach for cross country and track and field at Oregon Tech, and brings over 24 years of track and cross country coaching experience.
Most recently, Schwartz served four years as part-time volunteer assistant coach at Eastern Oregon University and was the head coach at La Grande High School in both cross country and track & field from 2008-2010 after assisting those programs the two previous years. At LHS, Schwartz coached Greater Oregon League Team Championships in cross country: 2008 & 2009, and in track & field 2009 - 2010.
Schwartz was also a volunteer assistant coach for cross country, and track and field, at Clackamas Community College, from 2003-04 where she helped in the distance and multi events.
Coach Schwartz spent eighteen years as a USATF youth coach in Las Vegas and in Portland. Schwartz has coached 45 USATF Individual All-Americans in cross country and track & field, including a USATF Cross Country National Championship team, Midget Girls in 2001. Schwartz was also named USATF-Oregon Coach of the Year 2002 and had the USATF-Oregon Team of the Year 2003.
Laura graduated from Western Oregon University with a Master in Education.
Laura and her husband, Jack, are the parents of Debra, William, Nora, Eli, and Connor.
Coach Schwartz’s Athletic Background
- Olympic Trials Qualifier: Track and Field (1980)
- NCAA Division I Women’s Cross Country, Third place team 1978.
- NCAA All American: Track and Field (1979)
- Ranked Top 8 in the USA, Women’s 800m (1978, 1979, and 1980)
- Community College All American: Track and Field (1977, 1978)
- California Community College Cross Country, Third place team 1977
- California Community College Cross Country Champions 1976.
- Academic All American (1976 to 1979)