Oregon Institute of Technology

No. 1 Concordia Stops Owls 2-0

Oct 05, 2012

(PORTLAND, Ore.) – In a battle for first place in the Cascade Conference it was the number one ranked team in the nation Concordia coming out with a hard fought 2-0 win over Oregon Tech Friday night at Touminen Yard.

Oregon Tech slips to 2-1 in CCC play and 4-4 on the season with the loss. The Cavaliers move to 2-0 in Conference play and 8-0-2 on the season with the victory.

The Cavaliers went up early, as Hannah Scott broke free for a goal in just the 13th minute of the match. Hannah Kimsey fed Scott the ball, sending her a pass from the top center of the box out to the left. From there, Scott fired a shot across the face of the goal that tucked into the far post for the score.

Concordia didn't have to wait long for its second goal, as Ashley Ames broke through for a score just eight minutes after Scott's goal. Senior Jenna Peterson started the play for the Cavs this time after she sent a long pass to Ames from out near the center line. Peterson's pass found Ames on the left side of the box where Ames finished the play with a similar shot to Scott's that bounced off the far post and in.

Ames' score put the Cavs up 2-0 in just the 21st minute of the match. Ames' score also capped a hot start for the Cavs in which the team put five of their first six shots on frame.

Meanwhile, OIT gave itself a chance at a score in the 35th minute when the OIT attack played a ball to the top left of the Cavalier box. OIT seemingly had a break away on the play, but Concordia goalkeeper Tori Talbutt sprinted off the line towards the ball and picked it up just ahead of the Lady Owls forward.

The Owls then got a hot start to the second half when midfielder Lisel Frazier forced Talbutt to make a save just 45 seconds into the period.

The Cavaliers soon found their groove again, however, and kept the ball in their attacking half for long stretches of the second period.

Concordia had several chances at a third goal too, as the team recorded nine corner kicks in the second half alone, but the OIT defense always punched the ball out.

Overall, Matteri played all 90 minutes in goal for the Owls and finished with three saves. Talbutt, meanwhile, played the first 80:42 of the match in goal before giving way to senior Robyn Neimann (Bend, Ore./Mountain View H.S.), who finished out the match for Concordia.

Together, Talbutt and Neimann helped Concordia record its sixth shutout of the season, while the defense as a whole held its fifth different opponent to less than five shots in a match.

Oregon Tech travels to Warner Pacific for their next match with the two teams squaring off at 5 p.m. Saturday.
Back to All News