Helping people make informed, voluntary, health-promoting behavior changes
What is a Peer Health Educator? What do PHE's do?
Volunteers in the program known as Peer Health Educators (PHE). A PHE is a student representative of the Oregon Tech ISHC who, with training, supervision, and support, works independently and with others to plan and conduct a variety of health education and health promotion activities for fellow students.
Among types of responsibilities a PHE might have are: helping to plan and conduct campus-wide events, writing articles for the Wellness website, posting new and interesting information on the Wellness website, and participating on various campus committees.
PHE's are volunteers and are not paid. Training is provided during Spring term through a Peer Health Education class, which can be taken for academic credit, and during a training prior to Fall term and throughout the year during monthly meetings.
What are the requirements for being a PHE?
A PHE must be able to make the following time commitments:
- Attend the PHE class time during Spring term
- Attend the Fall training scheduled in September
- Make commitment to serve as a PHE for the entire 2012-13 academic year
- Devote an average of 8 hrs a month to the program
- Have successful experience working independently and with others toward a common goal
- Be committed to providing information that will help peers make good decisions regarding health-related issues
- Be interested in serving as a resource for your peers
- Be an active listener
- Be non-judgmental and open-minded
- Be able to assess and meet the needs of students of different cultures, religions, abilities, sexual identities and political affiliations
- HAVE FUN and meet other exceptional students!
Who can apply?
Any Oregon Tech student, sophomore level or above, who is in good academic standing. You must complete an application and attend an interview. Students of all majors, ages, affiliations, sexual orientations, and levels of ability are encouraged to apply.
If you're interested in being a PHE for 2012-13, please contact Jennifer Bavarskas at 541.885.1800