Looking for career development resources for your students?
We have added many resources to our website to help your students. Please explore links on this page to see what is available to them, and encourage your students to use them.
Need to hire a student employee?
Below is a list of procedures that should be followed by all student employee supervisors. Please see the links on this page for additional information and forms.
- See the Student Employment Guidelines for important legal information.
- Decide on an hourly wage. Minimum wage laws changed on July 1, 2016 and vary by location. See Student Employment Guidelines for details. You may pay anything up to $2.00 over the minimum wage without an exception. Exceptions for wages of more than $2.00 over the minimum wage are possible but must be approved prior to posting. Grant funded positions with a specific wage in the grant do not require an exception form.
- Write a detailed position description. You will need this later for student performance reviews. Ask others if they have samples you can edit, or see the example on this site.
- If you have never posted a position: Ask if there is a person in your department who manages the process. If not, you are welcome to create an account on Jobs4Owls to post yourself (see instructions on this site). Select the employer Oregon Tech Student Employment. You may also ask Career Services to post your position for you (please send your job description).
- If posting yourself, use your detailed description to post a new job, or edit a previously posted job, on Jobs4Owls
- Collect resumes and interview candidates. You may use a job application rather than review resumes. However, we encourage students to understand how to create resumes early on.
- Select student employee(s) to hire.
After you hire a student
- NOTE: Your student hire may not begin work until they are approved by Payroll. If they have never worked on campus, this can take some time, since students need to provide proper ID for their I-9 form and many students do not have documents with them on campus.
- You will be e-mailed a Hire Form from Career Services after you post your job. The form clearly indicates which parts must be completed by the department, and which by the student. Complete the form. If you are hiring multiple students for the same position, you may copy the form as long as it has not expired. A copy of your Hire Form will be saved to the T:/Career_Services/Hire Forms, and if you misplace yours you will be able to retrieve it.
- Klamath Falls: Send student with completed Hire Form to Payroll (Snell Hall) to complete payroll forms.
- Wilsonville: Send student with completed Hire Form to the Business Affairs office (Stephanie McHenry) to complete paperwork.
- Conduct your department’s student training. Include training in policies, forms, and technology, and be clear about your expectations. Provide written training materials whenever possible for reference. If your student employee will have access to any student directory information, such as grades, they MUST complete online student FERPA training.
Resources for Your Students