This tutorial, sponsored by the Registrar's Office at Oregon Tech, explains the parameters of the permissible use and release of student records. The laws and regulations on maintaining and using student records are the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 (Public Law 93-380), as amended; 34 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 99; Oregon Revised Statutes 351.065, and Oregon Administrative Rules 580-Division 13 and 576-Division 20. By completing this tutorial you will learn how to responsibly handle student records.
The following topics will be addressed:
- What are the legal constraints on use and disclosure of education records?
- What are the responsibilities of Oregon Tech employees regarding student records?
- What are the students' rights regarding their education records?
- Which education records may be released and under what circumstances, and which education records may not be released?
- Who can you contact when you have questions about appropriate ways to handle students' records?