Blackboard Learn System Requirements
It is your responsibility to have access to a computer with a reliable internet connection that is fast enough to handle the types of material you will need to view in your class. This may include large video files that will not work on slower internet connections or older computers. You will need a high speed internet connection such as cable or DSL modem. The faster the internet connection - the better your online experience will be. (A dial-up or satellite internet connection is not recommended.)
You also need a computer that meets or exceeds the minimum requirements. Our recommendation is that you will probably need a computer that is no more than five years old since older computers are more likely to have problems displaying your class material. A Mac computer will also work with Blackboard Learn. However some classes may have some material that requires access to a Windows computer. Many classes require access to Microsoft Office programs including Word and PowerPoint. You'll also need to have Adobe Reader installed on your computer to be able to view PDF files. (Mac computers sometimes have another program for viewing PDF files, which will also be acceptable.) For some classes, additional software may be required as specified by the instructor.
Your computer should have at least: 4GB of RAM and Windows Vista or 7 or Mac OS 10.5 or higher.
Most browsers work with Blackboard. If you're having problems while using one of them though, switch to a different browser to see if that resolves the issue. We have found that it is best to avoid using Internet Explorer, even though it is supposed to be supported, since it seems to have the most issues when used with Blackboard.
View the list of supported browsers
WARNING: As new operating systems and new browsers are released, it may take a little while before Blackboard will function 100% with the new system. You may want to wait a month or so before upgrading, if possible, to give Blackboard some time to make the necessary changes to their program.
Settings to check and fix
- Make sure you're using a supported browser.
- If one browser isn't working, try another to see if it works.
- Check that you have the latest version of Java. With Blackboard open, look for the Java icon in the bottom right corner of your monitor. Right-click the icon and select "Open Control Panel" from the menu. Click the Update tab. Click the "Update Now" button to see if there is a newer version available.
- Trust pop-ups from http://online.oit.edu. and from http://learn.oit.edu
- Add http://online.oit.edu and http://learn.oit.edu as trusted sites if you use Internet Explorer. In Internet Explorer: click Tools, Internet Options, Security tab, click the Trust Sites icon, click the Sites button,
type http://online.oit.edu in the "Add this website" box and click the
Add button. Repeat to add http://learn.oit.edu also. Click the Close button and then the OK button. (Firefox does not have an option to add a trusted site.)
- If you're having problems with an item in Blackboard, try clearing the browser cache. If that doesn't work, try clearing the Java cache.
Avoiding problems when taking an online test
- Plug into an internet connection rather than use a wireless connection. Wireless connections may drop in the middle of your test. Please do not use the mobile app to take your test. It is more reliable to use a regular computer with a plugged in connection.
- If one browser isn't working, try another to see if it works. Firefox seems to work better in general with this version of Blackboard over Internet Explorer, so you may want to use Firefox when taking a test.
- Close all other programs including Skype, Facebook, email programs, chat programs, etc.
- Some classes may require that you use Respondus LockDown Browser to take any quiz or test. There will be a note next to the quiz or test name that says "Requires Respondus LockDown Browser" if this a requirement for a particular quiz/test. You will not be able to use Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc to take these quizzes/tests. You will need to download the Respondus browser one time. You will use this browser to take quizzes/tests that have the requirement indicated. When you open the Respondus Browser to take a quiz/test, you will be asked to select which Blackboard version you're using. Please select version 9.1. View more information on using Respondus LockDown Browser
Getting help with Blackboard
Please call the ITS helpdesk for assistance with accessing your Blackboard class. The helpdesk phone number is 541.885.1470. The email address is: email@example.com. The helpdesk workers are available in the evenings and weekends also. Please check the ITS helpdesk page for the current hours.
Your instructor can help you with questions about due dates, a test that you didn't get to finish, and other general course questions. You should use the Class Messages or Mail tool inside of your class to contact your instructor.
The Distance Education office has technical support people who can also assist with some computer or Blackboard questions. They are available between 8am and 5pm Pacific Time Monday through Friday. Call 866.497.0008 to talk to one of them.