The mission of the Campus Safety Department is to support the educational mission of the University. This is accomplished by providing for the safety, security and maintenance of order to the campus community, including faculty, staff, students and visitors. Campus Safety promotes safety and security on campus through consultative services, educational programs, emergency and non-emergency response services, problem solving and enforcement of OIT/OUS policies and rules and appropriate State and Federal regulations and laws.
Campus Safety serves all students, staff, faculty and guests. The university employs full and part-time Campus Safety officers. Students assist with issuing temporary parking permits, weekend patrols and other safety-related responsibilities. Campus Safety operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, responding to campus incidents, including building alarms, crimes, injuries, illnesses, accidents, safety hazards and calls for assistance. Additionally, Campus Safety provides coordination with local law-enforcement agencies, crowd control, building inspections and parking enforcement. Crimes can also be reported to the Vice President for Finance and Administration, Vice President for Student Affairs, Dean of Students, Residence Life staff, Athletics Director or the Student Health Service staff.
Campus Safety also provides:
- Crime Prevention/Safety Information: Campus Safety Officers are available to assess potential safety problems or hazardous situations.
- Parking Services: Temporary parking permits, information, vehicle unlocks and “jump starts” for dead batteries.
- Special Events Assistance: Campus Safety Officers assist with crowd control, barricade set-up, traffic control, vehicle assistance and other activities.
- “Night Ride” Program: Officers are available to escort individuals on campus to vehicles, buildings or the Residence Hall.
- Building Access: Faculty and staff members without a key who need access to a building may request assistance after proper clearance or verification.
- Student Auxiliary Safety Patrol: SASP employees act as an additional level of safety for the campus. Patrols raise the visibility of Campus Safety and increase security on campus.