The General Education Review Task Force was appointed by the Provost April, 2013 at the request of the General Education Advisory Council (GEAC). The task force was charged to review/reevaluate Oregon Tech’s overall general education requirements.
In conducting this review the task force was asked to draw on work that has been done in recent years with the AAC&U LEAP Vision project, the development and assessment of our own Institutional Student Learning Outcomes (ISLOs), and statewide efforts incorporating community colleges and public universities in an attempt to define what the broad outcomes should be for all degrees independent of discipline using the Degree Qualifications Profile (DQP).
Expected outcomes of the review:
- A rationale for general education requirements
- Recommendations regarding general education requirements and/or ISLOs for clear alignment
- Recommended structure for an ongoing review process
- Support during implementation of general education requirements and/or review process
- Recommendations for institution-wide support of general education goals
This project is a multi-year undertaking. Work in the current year involves implementation of a governance structure to support general education, development of recommendations for changes to general education requirements based on the review, and creation of an implementation plan for those changes.