The purpose of the Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene program is to prepare students for entry into the dental hygiene profession and additional careers such as public health, administration, education, research, and marketing. The graduate will be prepared to enter master's degree programs in dental hygiene and related programs.
- Provide the dental hygiene student the opportunity to gain the necessary knowledge, skills, and values to enter the registered practice of dental hygiene.
- Prepare the student to sit for the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination.
- Prepare the student to take the WREB examination in dental hygiene, anesthesia, and restorative functions.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
- The dental hygiene graduate will be competent in applying ethical, legal and regulatory concepts in the provision and/or support of oral health care services.
- The dental hygiene graduate will be competent in critical thinking and problem solving related to comprehensive care and management of patients.
- The dental hygiene graduate will be competent in interpersonal and communication skills to effectively interact with diverse population groups.
- The dental hygiene graduate will be competent in assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating community-based oral health programs including health promotion and disease prevention activities.
- The dental hygiene graduate will be competent in providing oral health care to individuals at all stages of life and for all periodontal classifications.
- The dental hygiene graduate will demonstrate competent knowledge and self-assessment skills necessary for life-long learning.
Summary of Program Student Learning Outcomes
During the 2016-17 academic year, the Dental Hygiene faculty formally assessed the student learning outcome summarized in the annual program assessment report. Additional details can be found in department assessment records.
The curriculum map for the Dental Hygiene program can be found on the catalog web page on the Oregon Tech Website, www.oit.edu/catalog.