March 14, 2013: Library Access Services is currently hiring student library assistants for Fall Term 2013. If interested, you must apply NOW during Spring Term 2013. Applications are available at the Library Access Services counter.
Access Services Student Assistant
Watch for a "Help Wanted" post in Career services and around campus when the positions become available.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Re-shelve library materials accurately, efficiently, and on a daily basis.
- Respond to patron inquiries and provide basic referral and informational services.
- Circulate library materials efficiently and accurately using the Millennium Circulation system.
- Use the Library Online Catalog and Summit Catalog effectively and instruct patrons in their use.
- Know location of basic reference materials such as dictionaries, encyclopedias, almanacs, etc..
- Answer phones, direct calls, answer caller questions, and take phone messages.
- Conduct searches and retrieve materials as directed.
- Have a good understanding of library policies and procedures and effectively communicate them to patrons.
- Operate and resolve common problems with library equipment, including computers, printers, microform readers, and photocopiers.
- Assist with library projects including shifting, shelf reading, and other tasks as assigned.
- Correctly process financial transactions.
- Assist with opening and closing procedures as assigned.
- Assist with various other circulation and technical-services duties such as: cataloging, processing materials (books, serials, AV materials, etc.), binding and mending materials, processing course reserves, interlibrary loans, and Summit borrowing/lending items.
Expectations for Performance:
- Dependable and reliable—arriving to work on time and performing all duties with care.
- Inform supervisor of future absences ASAP or, if late, calling ahead.
- Employees are expected to work shifts as assigned or to find coverage when absent.
- Project a professional appearance—greet patrons, remain aware of activity around the desk.
- Display a willingness to learn new tasks and to take on new responsibilities.
- Display a willingness to work evening and weekend hours when possible.
- Show initiative—don’t wait to be assigned a task, ask what needs to be done.
Technical Services Student Assistant
Student positions may also become available in Technical Services, these positions will be posted as they become available.