Access Services Student Assistant
Watch for a "Help Wanted" post in Career services and around campus when the positions become available.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Re-shelve library materials accurately, efficiently, and on a daily basis.
- Respond to patron inquiries and provide basic referral and informational services.
- Circulate library materials efficiently and accurately using the Millennium Circulation system.
- Use the Library Online Catalog and Summit Catalog effectively and instruct patrons in their use.
- Know location of basic reference materials such as dictionaries, encyclopedias, almanacs, etc..
- Answer phones, direct calls, answer caller questions, and take phone messages.
- Conduct searches and retrieve materials as directed.
- Have a good understanding of library policies and procedures and effectively communicate them to patrons.
- Operate and resolve common problems with library equipment, including computers, printers, microform readers, and photocopiers.
- Assist with library projects including shifting, shelf reading, and other tasks as assigned.
- Correctly process financial transactions.
- Assist with opening and closing procedures as assigned.
- Assist with various other circulation and technical-services duties such as: cataloging, processing materials (books, serials, AV materials, etc.), binding and mending materials, processing course reserves, interlibrary loans, and Summit borrowing/lending items.
Expectations for Performance:
- Dependable and reliable—arriving to work on time and performing all duties with care.
- Inform supervisor of future absences ASAP or, if late, calling ahead.
- Employees are expected to work shifts as assigned or to find coverage when absent.
- Project a professional appearance—greet patrons, remain aware of activity around the desk.
- Display a willingness to learn new tasks and to take on new responsibilities.
- Display a willingness to work evening and weekend hours when possible.
- Show initiative—don’t wait to be assigned a task, ask what needs to be done.
Technical Services Student Assistant
Student positions may also become available in Technical Services, these positions will be posted as they become available.