Looking for Research Articles?
CINAHL with Full Text – a comprehensive resource for peer- reviewed nursing and allied health literature including searchable cited references.
Cochrane Library – contains a collection of databases that contain evidence based research with clinical expertise and patient values for informed healthcare decision-making. Go to Cochrane’s multimedia web page to access helpful videos and podcasts. Visit The Cochrane Collaboration Glossary and FAQs to find descriptions for the following resources within Cochrane Library:
- Cochrane Reviews; Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR);
- Cochrane Methodology Register (CMR);
- CENTRAL (Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials [CCRCT]);
- Heath Technology Assessment (HTA) Database;
- NHS Economic Evaluation Database (NHS EED);
- Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effects (DARE)
Health Source Nursing Academic Edition – provides scholarly full-text journals focusing on nursing, allied health fields, and many medical disciplines.
Health Reference Center Academic – integrates millions of articles from a wide-range of full-text nursing and allied health journals, newspapers, magazines, newsletters, reference works, and consumer health information.
MEDLINE – an online database of biomedical journal citations and abstracts covering all areas of medicine and indexed with NLM's controlled vocabulary, the Medical Subject Headings (MeSH®). Full text must be ordered from another library using the Interlibrary Loan Article Request Form.
PubMed – a free resource that anyone may access and maintained by the National Library of Medicine. Includes access to MEDLINE and to citations for selected articles in life science journals not included in MEDLINE. Not full-text but citations may include links to full-text articles from Pubmed Central (National Institutes of Health free digital archive), Oregon Tech Library subscription databases or publisher websites. Limit searches by clinical trials, meta-analysis, practice guidelines, etc. It includes content from the late 1940s to present.
Sage Journals Online – Browse journals by Discipline – Health Sciences has full-text articles.
Smart Imagebase – Download thousands of medical illustrations, videos, interactive tools, and monographs of anatomy, physiology, embryology, surgery, trauma, pathology, diseases, conditions and other topics.
See Electronic Resources by Subject for more databases or the Electronic Resources A –Z list. For more subject guides that may be of assistance, see Oregon Tech Library’s Find by Subject.
Specific Journal/Periodical Titles (Electronic Resource)
If available through Oregon Tech Library subscription, locate specific electronic journal titles by entering the title of the journal in the search box at E-Journals. Some titles that are available include: American Association of Nurse Anesthetists (AANA), Advanced studies in nursing, American Nurse, Applied Nursing Research, Clinical Nursing Research, Creative Nursing, Critical Care Nurse, Journal of Family Nursing, Journal of Law, Medicine, and Ethics, Journal of Professional Nursing, Nursing Economic$, Nursing Education Perspectives, Research and Theory for Nursing Practice.
Open access peer-reviewed journals are available at the Directory of Open Access Journals.
Apply the “TRUST” attributes while determining the quality of a research article:
- Target purposeful and relevant information for the intended research
- Review the qualifications and achievements of the author
- Utilize evidence-based scholarly articles found in open-source scholarly journals or library electronic resources
- Search for why the information exists
- Test the information for historical or current value for your topic
Top of page
Looking for a Book?
Books and other items are listed in the Library Catalog. Use the Library Catalog
to find materials in the Oregon Tech Libraries' collections and through the
Summit. Summit provides access to materials from 36 academic libraries
in Oregon and Washington for Oregon Tech students, faculty and staff.
See the subjects and suggested Library of Congress call number ranges below:
- R5-920 Medicine (General)
- RG1-991 Gynecology and obstetrics
- RA1-1270 Public aspects of medicine
- RJ245-247 Nursing of children-Pediatric nursing
- RB1-214 Pathology
- RL1-803 Dermatology RC31-1245 Internal medicine
- RM695-893 Physical medicine-Physical therapy
- RD99-99.35 Surgical nursing
- RT1-120 Nursing RE88 Ophthalmic nursing
- RT89-120 Specialties in nursing
Reference Works - Print
Within the Oregon Tech Library Catalog, search by title or call number (examples):
- RA981.A2 A623 American Hospital Association (AHA) guide to the health care field,
- RC55.M4 The Merck Manual of Diagnosis & Therapy,
- R129.S35 American College of Physicians Medicine (ACP),
- RT85 .G85 2010 Guide to the code of ethics for nurses: interpretation and application,
- RT82 .A59 2010 Nursing's social policy statement: the essence of the profession
- RT85.5 .A47 2010 Nursing: scope and standards of practice.
Reference Works - Electronic Books (eBooks)
Credo Reference – through the Search tab, access medical dictionaries such as Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary, Webster's New World™ Medical Dictionary, Black's Medical Dictionary, 42nd Edition, Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary, etc. Try the Image Search and Concept Map tabs too.
Gale Virtual Reference Library – for access to Complete Human Diseases and Conditions, 3v, 2008; Complete Dictionary of Scientific Biography , 27v, 2008; and Encyclopedia of Science, Technology, and Ethics , 4v, 2005.
National Center for Biotechnology Information - Bookshelf – eBooks on life sciences and healthcare; after a search is completed, publication dates of books are not in chronological order.
Wiley InterScience – full-text journals and books are available.
Top of Page
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
American Medical Association (AMA)
American Nurses Association (ANA)
Center for Evidence Based Medicine, Oxford UK (CEBM)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Physical Activity Resources for Health Professionals – Data and Statistics
Center for Information Technology (CIT) from the National Institutes of Health
Citing Medicine from the National Library of Medicine
Google Scholar - abstracts, and occasional links to full text. Google Scholar provides links to some Oregon Tech Library electronic journals.
Health O@sis – This site is provided by the Mayo Clinic and users may register to receive a free weekly newsletter, read medical news, and search for information on specific drugs.
Medical Words Tutorial
National Institutes of Health (NIH) Library and Literature Resources (United States)
National League for Nursing (NLN)
National Library of Medicine Gateway (United States)
National Student Nurses Association (NSNA)
OHSU Bachelor’s Program School of Nursing in Klamath Falls at Oregon Tech
Oregon Health Sciences University (OHSU) School of Nursing Library Resources
Oregon Public Health Division Health Topics A-Z
Oregon State Board of Nursing
The Student Nurse Information Center
Top of Page