Looking for Background Information?
Start here! These resources are a good place to get definitions of terms and concepts as well as general background information in behavioral sciences.
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders: DSM-V-TR. (2013). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association (Library call number: REF RC455.2.C4 D536 2013)
- Houdé, O. (Ed.). (2004). Dictionary of cognitive science: Neuroscience, psychology, artificial intelligence, linguistics, and philosophy. New York: Psychology Press. (Library call number: REF BF311 .V56713 2004)
- Thesaurus of psychological index terms (2001).Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association. (Library call number: REF Z695.1.P7 T48 2001)
- Craighead, W.E., and Nemeroff, C.B. (Eds.). (2001).The Corsini encyclopedia of psychology and behavioral science. New York: Wiley. (Library call number: REF BF31.E52 2001)
- Kazdin, A.E. (Ed.). (2000). Encyclopedia of psychology. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association; Oxford; New York: Oxford University Press. (Library call number: REF BF31 .E52 2000)
Credo Reference: this giant online reference library provides access to a wide selection of encyclopedias, dictionaries, thesauri, books of quotations, and subject-specific titles. Reference books on psychology include Encyclopedia of Applied Psychology; Cambridge Encyclopedia of Child Development; The Penguin Dictionary of Psychology; The Cambridge Handbook of Computational Psychology; and The Cambridge Handbook of Psychology and Economic Behavior among others.
Gale Virtual Reference Library: use this online collection of reference books to browse a title’s table of contents, the index or a list of illustrations or for searching by keywords: e.g. psychology; evolutionary psychology; educational psychology; or child development.
Looking for Research Articles?
Start with these electronic resources / databases. They are essential tools for searching from scholarly articles, a major component of literature in psychology
General Electronic Resources
- Academic Search Premier: a multidisciplinary database with a broad range of topics in psychology
- Sage Journals Online: full text, discipline-specific research databases of the most popular peer-reviewed journals in many disciplines, including psychology; browse by discipline or journal or search by keyword, author, editor or title
- Wiley InterScience: collection of online resources in many disciplines, including psychology; covers both books and journals; browse by subject or search by keywords
- Ulrich's Periodicals Directory: use it to determine the status of a specific periodical publication. If you see a referee shirt icon next to a periodical title, it means the journal is peer reviewed.
- Google Scholar: A quick way to find scholarly literature; some full text articles are available for free; good coverage in the social sciences; use the "Cited by" link to find related articles
- DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals): a collection of free full text online journals in sciences and medicine; find it under Library Favorites on the library home page
- PsycINFO: main source to search for scholarly articles and empirical research in psychology and related disciplines. Database contains very few records with full-text of articles. You might need to order the desired article from another library. From the American Psychological Association.
- PsycARTICLES: contains full-text articles from 49 peer-reviewed journals in basic, applied, clinical and theoretical psychology. From the American Psychological Association.
- Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection: full-text articles on topics such as emotional and behavioral characteristics, psychiatry and psychology, mental processes, anthropology, and observational and experimental methods.
- Social Sciences Abstracts: a wide range of interdisciplinary fields from social sciences journals
- Business Source Premier: a useful source for articles in industrial and organizational psychology
- ERIC: (Educational Resources Information Center): covers all aspects of education, including child development and educational psychology. There are very few full-text articles included in ERIC.
- MEDLINE: covers journal articles in all areas of biomedical sciences from 1966 to the present. Includes psychiatry and health psychology. Medline contains very few full-text articles. From the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
- CINAHL: (Cumulative Index to Nursing & Allied Health Literature): provides full-text articles in nursing and allied health journals, including a wide variety of works in health psychology. Dates back to 1982.
- PubMed: includes articles on addiction, the biological basis of behavior, health psychology, neurosciences, and psychiatric disorders
See also the library's list of resources on the subject of social sciences.
Specific printed journals
These titles (and more) can be found in the Oregon Tech Library’s online catalog
- Personality and Social Psychology Review
- North American Journal of Psychology
- Journal of Experimental Psychology
- Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology
- Journal of Abnormal Psychology
Electronic journals in psychology
These titles can also be found in the Oregon Tech Library’s online catalog
- American Journal of Community Psychology
- American psychologist
- Applied cognitive psychology
- Applied psychology
- Basic and applied social psychology
- Clinical psychology and psychotherapy
- Journal of applied psychology
- Journal of applied Behavior Analysis
- Journal of cognition and development
- Journal of psychology
Oregon Tech Library also provides access to free full text online journals through DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals)
Looking for books?
Use the library online catalog to find materials in the Oregon Tech Libraries' collections. For books not in Oregon Tech Library, search summit, a combined catalog with access to the records and materials from 37 academic libraries in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho.
Try these Library of Congress call number ranges:
- BF81-109 History of psychology
- BF150-171 Mind and Body
- BF173-175 Pathological psychology, abnormal psychology, psychoanalysis
- BF311-499 Consciousness, cognition, perception, intuition, memory
- BF511-593 Affection, Feeling, Emotion
- BF636-637 Applied psychology
- BF98 Personality
- BF99-711 Genetic psychology
- BF712-724 Developmental psychology
- LB1101-1139 Child development
- RC321-429 Neurosciences, biological psychiatry, neurology
- RC435-571 Psychiatry
- RC554-569 Personality disorders, behavior problems including drug abuse, child abuse etc.
Looking for electronic books?
Find them through:
The Oregon Tech Library Online Catalog
The Library Electronic Book Collections (select Academic Complete and EBSCOhost eBook collection
Google book search
Looking for tests and measures?
Use PsychInfo to find articles about specific tests and measures, and to determine which articles contain a specific test or measurement. Select Tests & Measures field from the drop-down menu. Watch this video to see the two search methods you can use.
Need help citing your sources?
Use this helpful book: Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (2010). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association (Library call number: REF Z253.P83 2010).
Or visit Oregon Tech Library’s Citing Your Sources page and select APA (American Psychological Association) citation style.
Professional Societies and Associations