Looking for Background Information? Start Here!
These resources are a good place to get definitions of terms and concepts as well as general background information.
Software Engineering Book of Knowledge describes generally accepted knowledge about software engineering. Its 10 knowledge areas summarize basic concepts and include a reference list pointing to the detailed information.
Credo Reference Credo Reference is a giant online reference library with a little bit of everything in it. Try here for definitions and encyclopedia articles on topics.
top of page
Looking for Research Articles?
Start with these Electronic Resources/Databases. Also see the Oregon Tech Library’s webpage listing databases on the subject of Engineering & Technology.
In our databases, use the Find an Article
button to link to full text if it is not immediately available
Primary Electronic Resources
Computer Database use this database to find computer-related product introductions, news and reviews in areas such as hardware, software, electronics, engineering, communications and the application of technology.
Computer Source provides researchers with the latest information and current trends in high technology. This database offers full text for nearly 300 publications and indexing and abstracts for nearly 450 publications.
Engineering Village includes: EI Compendex Web, with references and abstracts to more than 5,000 engineering journals, conferences, and technical reports from 1969 - present; U.S. Patent and Trademark Office patent database; Esp@cenet (European Patent Office database); Techstreet database of industry standards and specifications; CRC Press engineering handbooks (ENGnetBASE); and Scirus, a science-specific search engine that searches through more than 167 million science-specific web pages. From Elsevier Engineering Information, Inc.
Secondary Electronic Resources/Databases
Academic Search Premier – a general interest database covering many disciplines.
Applied Science and Technology Abstracts - Provides information on management, careers and employment, and financial trends in the scientific and technological fields.
Google Scholar - indexing, abstracts, and occasional links to full text.
Wiley InterScience - full text journals in a variety of subjects.
Top of page
Looking for a Book?
E-Books from Oregon Tech Libraries Safari Tech Books Online
provides books online for programmers and IT professionals. You can
search through all the technical books in the library to find specific
information or read books from cover to cover. You can also browse by
category. Examples of topics are XML, database information, and .Net.
EBSCOhost eBook Collection features selected books in an electronic format (ebooks) that are also full text online. Some of the titles you'll find at in this collection related to Software Engineering are:
- Secrets of Software Success : Management Insights From 100 Software Firms Around the World / Hoch, Detlev J.
- Software Process Improvement : Concepts and Practices / McGuire, Eugene
- Internet Commerce and Software Agents : Cases, Technologies and Opportunities / Rahman, Syed Mahbubur; Bignall, Robert J.
- Successful Software Reengineering / Valenti, Sal
- Software Fault Tolerance Techniques and Implementation / Pullum, Laura L.
- The Domain Theory : Patterns for Knowledge and Software Reuse / Sutcliffe, Alistair
- Schaum's Outline of Theory and Problems of Software Engineering / Gustafson, David A.
- Advances in Software Maintenance Management : Technologies and Solutions / Polo, Macario.; Piattini, Mario; Ruiz, Francisco
- Building Reliable Component-based Software Systems / Crnkovic, Ivica.; Larsson, Magnus
Free E-Books on the web
Books and other items are listed in the Library Catalog. Use the Library Catalog
to find materials in the Oregon Tech Libraries' collections and through the
Summit. Summit provides access to materials from 36 academic libraries
in Oregon and Washington for Oregon Tech students, faculty and staff. See the titles and suggested Library of Congress call
number ranges below for pointers to popular items.
Try these Library of Congress call number ranges
- Computer Games GV1469.15 - GV1469.25
- Computer Software QA76.75 - QA76.765
- Computer aided software engineering QA76.758
- Computer Game Programming QA76.76.C672
- Software Engineering QA76.758
top of page
Open Source Software
Top of page