The Oregon Tech Online office provides technology that can be used in your on-campus classes at no charge (these same programs are used in the fully online classes). Some of the software that is available to any faculty member at any of the Oregon Tech campuses includes Blackboard, which is a course management software, and Zoom web conferencing . Faculty can use either of these programs to supplement their classroom instruction. When you use Blackboard at Oregon Tech as a supplement to an on-campus class, we call it a "Blackboard hybrid class."
Use Blackboard to:
- Post your syllabus and handouts online for students to access at any time from any location
- Send announcements to your class
- Let students turn in assignments electronically - even large files that are too big to send by email
- Give your quizzes or tests online and let Blackboard grade them for you
- Post student grades in a secure environment
- Use blogs or online discussion groups to enhance student participation
The Zoom web conferencing program can be used to:
- Invite a guest speaker to your classroom who cannot come to campus
- Record a lecture for students who have a conflict with the scheduled class time
- Record a lecture to let your students review the material - the recording can be done in the live classroom or in your office
- Conduct a live class lecture from a distance when you're at a conference or out of town for some other reason
- Have students record a presentation
- Collaborate on a document with people at a distance - share your computer screen and "show" them rather than "tell" them
- Conduct online office hours
- Set up online study groups for your students to use so they can meet from their homes
The Online staff also has software on our computers to help you do tasks in Blackboard such as:
- Convert a Word formatted quiz/test into a Blackboard assessment (using Respondus)
- Capture your activity on your computer screen to show students how to use a program (using Camtasia)
- Convert non-copyrighted media files into a format that can be posted online (using various programs we have)
The Online department also has some equipment that can be borrowed by any on-campus or online instructor. Some of these items include:
- Camcorder with tripod - record a lecture or presentation (ITS HelpDesk also has two camcorders that you can check out).
- Surface pro 3 tablet - use to write on the screen while recording to create better presentations
- GoPro camera - use to record wide-angle shots while walking around by wearing the camera on your chest or head.
The Online staff can also help with using other technology in your classroom. For instance:
- Provide help in transferring your media into a web-friendly format to post in your Blackboard class.
- Advise on other software that you may want to use in your Blackboard class. We'll research the program for you if we aren't already familiar with it.
- Brainstorm ideas you have on how to include other technology in your Blackboard class.