How to Apply to the Dental Hygiene Program
You may apply to any or all of the dental hygiene programs with one application. Prerequisite (pre-dental hygiene) courses are the same for all programs. Application to the dental hygiene program is a two-step process which is outlined below.
To be considered for selection into any of the professional programs in dental hygiene, you must be eligible and apply for admission. Eligibility is contingent upon the following qualifications being met:
1. You must have successfully completed or be in progress of completing all freshman pre-dental hygiene courses. Completion of Introduction to Dental Hygiene (DH 100 on campus or DHE 100 online) is required by the end of spring term of the year of application. For information about DHE 100 registration click here. All other prerequisite courses must be completed by the end of summer term of the year of application. If you are taking prerequisite courses outside of Oregon Tech, see the articulation agreements page to ensure transfer course equivalency.
2. You must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50.
Step One -- Apply for Admission to Oregon Tech
File an Application for Admission with the Oregon Tech Office of Admissions. Apply online at http://www.oit.edu/admissions. It is recommended that you apply for admission no later than March 1, 2014 which is the priority deadline for admissions scholarships. You will be asked to pay a $50 non-refundable admission fee at the end of the application session.
Full admit status is required. Your dental hygiene program application will not be considered if you do not have an application for admission on file in the Office of Admissions.
Forward supporting documentation, including official transcripts from the Registrar of each college or university attended, directly to the Office of Admissions:
Oregon Tech Admissions
3201 Campus Drive
Klamath Falls, Oregon 97601
Please note that admission to Oregon Tech does not mean that you are admitted to the dental hygiene program.
Step Two -- Apply for Admission to the Dental Hygiene Program
Submit required components of the Program Application directly to the Dental Hygiene Department. The application deadline for entry into the professional programs beginning September 2014 is April 4, 2014.
Required components consist of the following:
1. Applicant Information (page 6)
2. Course Information (page 7)
3. Personal Essay (page 8)
4. Applicant Understanding Form (page 14)
5. A $75 non-refundable application evaluation fee in the form of check or money order made payable to Oregon Tech Dental Hygiene.
6. Official transcripts from each college or university attended excluding Oregon Tech (this set is for Dental Hygiene Department use only). Please send paper transcripts when possible. The department does not have the capability to accept electronic transcripts.
Please send items 1-6 only. Additional information such as photos and resumes will not be considered and will be discarded. Mail or hand deliver your Dental Hygiene Program Application to:
Dental Hygiene Department
3201 Campus Drive, SE 212
Klamath Falls, OR 97601
If mailing, please allow ample time for your application to reach the department. Late, faxed, or e-mailed applications will not be accepted.
You will receive a confirmation e-mail from the Dental Hygiene Department upon receipt of your application. If your contact information changes during the application process, please let us know. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following criteria are considered and awarded points when determining admission to the professional programs:
- Cumulative GPA
- Math/Science GPA
- Personal Essay score
- Interview score*
- Oregon Tech, Chemeketa Community College, or Eastern Oregon University student
Additional criteria for consideration may include:
- The number of prerequisite courses completed at the time of application
- Completion of courses beyond the prerequisites
- Course repeats
- Course history
- Previous program alternate status
Student Selection and Program Entry
Candidates are placed in rank order and selected according to their rank. A few positions may be selected through lottery.
Final acceptance of selected students is contingent upon the following:
1. Successful completion of any prerequisite courses in progress at the time of application by the end of summer term. This excludes DH 100/DHE 100 which must be completed by the end of spring term.
2. Successful completion of background check and drug test. Instructions will be provided to students in the dental hygiene program welcome packet.
If a selected student declines or is unable to enter the program, a replacement may be selected from the ranked alternate list.
Please see the FAQs page under Additional Resources.
*Interviews will be held on Friday, May 9th, 2014. Students selected to proceed to the interview stage will be contacted via e-mail regarding the exact interview date, time and location.
The Oregon Tech Dental Hygiene Department reserves the right to modify the criteria and process for admission to the dental hygiene programs on an annual basis.