Program Student Learning Outcomes
To provide the residents of Oregon, the Pacific Northwest and surrounding regions with graduates possessing knowledge and behaviors to earn Bachelor of Science degrees in Diagnostic Medical Sonography, the clinical skills necessary to become competent, ethical and caring imaging professionals, and the foundation for life-long learning.
The program prepares graduates to:
- Employ diagnostic sonographic imaging techniques, critical thinking skills, effective communication skills, and professional judgment.
- Effectively apply ergonomically correct scanning techniques.
- Successfully complete nationally recognized credential examinations.
- Develop a dedication to independent life-long learning and professional contribution .
Expected Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates from the DMS program will be able to demonstrate:
- Effective oral, visual, and written communication skills.
- The ability to work effectively in teams.
- The ability to provide basic patient care and comfort while utilizing ethical, professionalism and HIPAA guidelines.
- Knowledge and understanding of human gross and sectional anatomy relative to normal and abnormal sonographic imaging.
- Knowledge and understanding of human physiology, pathology and pathophysiology.
- Knowledge and understanding of ultrasound physical principles and instrumentation.
- Knowledge of sonographic biological effects, proper application of sonographic instrumentation relative to imaging and image quality.
- Appropriate ergonomic scanning applications.
- An understanding of diverse cultural and humanistic traditions in the global society.
The curriculum map for the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program can be found on the program's web page on the Oregon Tech web site.
Summary of Student Learning Outcomes
During the 2011-12 academic year, the DMS faculty formally assessed the student learning outcomes summarized in the attached annual report. Additional details can be found in department assessment records.