Application for admission may be submitted from September 1st through December 31st. Selected candidates are interviewed in January and February and decisions are generally made by the first half of March Please do not submit your application before September 1.
The program is full-time and lasts 15 consecutive months. A new class begins every fall term. Class size is limited and admission is competitive.
With a degree
If you have earned a Bachelor’s degree, the following prerequisites must be met.
- College Algebra (Math 111) or higher.
- 24 quarter credit hours Chemistry (courses must be designed for a science major, 100 level or above and not a survey).
- 24 quarter credit hours Biology (courses must be designed for a science major, 100 level or above and not a survey). Required courses are to include a course in Microbiology and a course in Immunology.
Note: Students who graduated from high school in 1997 or after, who did not complete two years of a foreign language in high school, must complete two terms of college-level foreign or second language in order to receive an Oregon Tech degree.
Without a degree
A minimum of 103 quarter credit hours to include the prerequisites above and:
- 18 quarter credit hours of Communication
- SPE 111 Fundamentals of Speech
- WRI 121 English Composition
- WRI 122 English Composition
- Plus nine additional credits in Communication.
Suggested options from Oregon Tech’s Communication course offerings: COM 205, COM 225, COM 320, COM 347, COM 401, COM 402, SPE 321, WRI 123, WRI 214, WRI 227, WRI 321, WRI 322, WRI 323, WRI 327, WRI 328, WRI 350, WRI 410
- 9 quarter credit hours of Humanitites
Nine credits selected by the student the following:
Other transfer courses, defined by the Registrar’s Office, may be used in this category. No more than three credits of activity of performance-based courses may be used in this category.
- Art, Art History or Appreciation
- Music, Music History or Appreciation
- English (Can not be used to satisfy Communication requirements)
- Foreign Languages (excluding 1st year college level)
- 12 quarter credit hours of Social Science
Twelve credits selected by the student in the following:
- General Social Science
- Political Science
Prerequisite course work must be completed before start date of the Program; it does not need to be completed to apply. The Oregon Tech Registrar’s office will review each applicant’s transcripts to confirm that the requirements are met. Applicants who have met program admission requirements seven or more years prior to application to the CLS Program must complete additional academic work to qualify. This may be accomplished by:
- Completing a course in chemistry and biology with a grade of C or better - upper division level courses recommended; or
- Receiving credit by examination in biochemistry and in microbiology; or
- Achieving a CLEP score at or above the 50th percentile on both the biology and chemistry examinations.
Applicants with foreign degrees must have their transcripts evaluated by acceptable evaluation agencies and must meet requirements as described above.
Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 to apply. Please note, this is a competitive program and the average admitted GPA is 3.2.