Every hour of your time donated can impact a young person’s life! Volunteering for even an hour each week, or a few hours each month, can make a big difference. Youth Rising is currently recruiting volunteers to teach music, dance, various types of art, hobbies such as knitting, crocheting, woodworking, sewing, embroidery -- plus life-skills classes or provide free tutoring.
Youth Rising connects youth & teens 11-18 years with fun recreational activities, a variety of clubs, tutoring, community projects & trained trustworthy peer-support specialists. Youth Rising helps young people 11-18 build self-confidence, life-skills, a connection to the arts, make friends offline, and interact with peers. Youth Rising provides safe, secure location for young people to spend time together after school at the Drop-In Center.
Contact Name(s): Maggie McGonigle, Drop-In Center Manager
Phone Number: 541-851-1112
Address: 729 Main Street, Klamath Falls, OR 97601
Best way to contact: Email
Mission of Agency: Youth Rising is an inclusive youth-led, youth-driven non-profit organization for teens aged 11-18. We provide volunteer, philanthropy, and leadership opportunities, and programs that build employability & social skills at the Youth Rising Drop-In Center located at 729 Main Street. The 600-800 teens we serve on a monthly-basis consider the Drop-In to be a safe-haven in the community. We empower youth to reach their fullest potential as productive citizens support young people in advocating for a better community.
Population Served: Children, Low Income Families, Teens
Volunteer Requirements: Background check, interview, volunteer application, 18 and older
We are continually recruiting volunteers to interact with our teens between 3-6 pm Monday through Friday at our Drop-In Center. Volunteers can hang out with youth or teen participants as a positive role models, while also encouraging volunteers with a special skill, hobby, or passion in order to introduce new skills to our youth participants/ We also offer internships & extern opportunities, as well as Senior Project hours.
Current Volunteer Needs: Youth Rising is currently in need of the following for our participating youth on a monthly or every other week basis for 1-2 hours at a time.
- Music tutor/instructor = The Drop-In Center has a piano, multiple guitars, and other instruments that youth are interested in learning to play. If you have a passion for music & can play a piano or string-instrument, please consider volunteering once a month, every other week, or weekly to offer free instructions on how to play music using these instruments. Or if you have experience in acapella, choir music or other singing methods, please consider organizing a musical activity around singing and music at the Drop-In Center.
- Crafts, hobbies or games = Several volunteers are needed in order to teach youth about hands-on crafts or hobbies (such as knitting, crocheting, sewing, embroidery, scrapbooking, woodworking or other crafts), any type of drawing or artwork, and other activities of this type. If you have a passion for cards, dice or board games, please consider offering a few opportunities to teach these games to youth 11-18 years.
- Creative Writing / Poetry / Song-Lyrics club = Volunteers are needed to help youth learn how to turn express their feelings into poetry, stories, journaling, song-lyrics, spoken-word expressions, or other written word activities. If you love to write please consider donating your time to local youth to learn how to express themselves, use inspiration and create something from their own life. This shouldn’t be a classroom style club activity, but include creative prompts, engaging activities, or other brief exercises to help youth engage in writing -- perhaps even helping them to address their own lives & feelings through writing. We’d love to have you help our youth get their hands moving on the page and coming up with their own stories, poems, or songs.
- Video games = Volunteers are needed to organize video game tournaments, donate used video games or items that are no longer interesting/fun to play on your own system. Consider how your own video game experience and interest could be of use to those who access the YR video game consoles, Rock Band, or other systems/games available at the Drop-In Center.
- Computer/STEM activities = Anyone with experience in coding or web-design, or with a major in computer science, that might be able to volunteer on a monthly or every other week basis to teach young men & women how to code, design websites, do their own podcasts, design online “zines,” learn new computer skills, and similar activities, would be welcome to volunteer.
- Fundraising event volunteers = YR needs volunteers to help raise funds for the Drop-In Center, which provides a free, safe space for after school or during school breaks. If you’re interested in helping out please consider volunteering your time to assist in developing fundraising events, working with clubs, sports teams, or other activity-based groups on the OIT campus to raise funds for local kids. Any event or project can make a big difference! Please consider how you can help the 26% of Klamath County youth that are living in poverty, with 65% of all local K-12 students eligible for a reduced of free school lunch -- the more funding support to help those youth in need the better. Help us keep the lights on at the Drop-In Center!
If you’re interested in any of these activities, please email email@example.com for more information.