Home | Coronavirus | Student Employees

FAQs for Oregon Tech Student Employees

Updated on March 18, 2020

NEW 3/18Supervisors: I have a student employee who really needs the hours, but I just don’t have work for them right now. How can I help them?

If you can’t provide any hours, please let the students know that there may be opportunities in other offices and to contact Student Affairs at student.affairs@oit.edu to indicate their interest/need in hours and their availability.

NEW 3/18Supervisors: I am in need of temporary help that could be performed by a student employee. Is there a quicker way to find a student than formally post a job?

Quite possible. If you are an office that needs additional student workers, please email Student Affairs at student.affairs@oit.edu with information about your need (e.g., number of additional student workers or number of hours per week) and if the need is during spring break or later. Student Affairs will see if there are any students available who would be a good match for the work you need done. Reach out today!

After the extended spring break (March 23 – April 3), am I supposed to continue to work my hours?

Your supervisor will be in contact with you about your schedule/hours for spring term. Your supervisor may ask you to decrease/increase your hours depending on the needs of your department. Your supervisor will communicate via email so be sure to check your email regularly (even during spring break).

When classes are taught remotely am I supposed to work?

Your supervisor will inform you of your schedule for spring term. Please be sure to check your email regularly even during spring break so you know what the current situation is in your department.

I worked 4 hours in a shift. Am I entitled to a lunch? What if I work 6 hours?

In accordance with the State of Oregon laws for meals and rest periods, if you work two hours or less you are not entitled to breaks. If you work more than two hours but less than 6 hours, you are entitled to one 10 minute paid break. If you work more than 6 hours you are entitled to one paid 10 minute break and a 30 minute unpaid lunch period. Your supervisor will attempt to schedule the breaks as close to the middle of the work period as possible.

I worked more than 8 hours in a day. Am I supposed to get overtime?

Make sure that your supervisor knows first that you will be exceeding 8 hours in a day. Overtime must be paid for any hours over 40 in one week (Sunday through Saturday).

If I have the type of job that would allow me to perform remote work, is that an option?

This will really depend on your assigned job duties and the comfort level of your supervisor. Ask your supervisor, as they have the discretion to determine whether the work assigned to you can be done without their direct supervision.

What do I need to do if I’m sick and can’t work?

Please do not come to work if you are sick. Please contact your supervisor immediately so that appropriate arrangements are made (as much in advance) to cover your shift(s). Please use your campus resources, especially the Integrated Student Health Center, as needed.

As a student employee, do I get sick time? How do I use it?

Yes. Student workers (excluding work study positions) accrue 1 hour of sick leave for every 30 hours worked. Accrued sick leave is available for student workers to use on the 91st calendar day after beginning work on campus. The maximum hours that can be earned and used per fiscal year (July 1 – June 30) is 40 hours. The maximum balance of accrued sick leave that a student worker can have is 80 hours (i.e., it is a cap and additional hours will not accrue beyond the 80 hours). Unused accrued sick leave hours will roll over up to a maximum of 40 hours to the following fiscal year.

To find out how many accrued sick leave hours a student worker has earned, students can log into Web for Students, go to the Employee Menu, and pick Leave Balances.

Ask a QuestionAsk

The Integrated Student Health Center on the Klamath Falls campus will continue to offer both medical and mental health support services through Spring Break, the extension week, and into the Spring Term. They are able to offer in-person, telephone and video conference counseling to students. Medical appointments will continue to be in-person. The ISHC in coordination with Klamath County Public Health is following the guidelines from the Oregon Health Authority to screen students who call to schedule a medical appointment. Call ISHC at 541-885-1800 to schedule either type of appointment.

Counseling Services will be available to Portland-Metro students over Spring Break (including the extension week) via telephone and video conference. Appointments can be made by calling 503-821-1313.

Students: If you are on the Klamath Falls campus and begin to feel ill (cough, trouble breathing, fever), or would like to speak with a counselor, call ISHC at 541-885-1800. If you are a student on the Portland-Metro campus or on another site and begin to feel ill, please call your healthcare provider.

Faculty/Staff: If you begin to feel ill (cough, trouble breathing, fever), please call your healthcare provider. 


Integrated Student Health Center