Oregon Institute of Technology honors its own this week during the annual convocation of faculty and staff prior to the start of the 2018-19 academic year. To begin the week, faculty and staff were welcomed back to campus Monday with a social sponsored by Fisher Nicholson Realty, Subway and the Oregon Tech Foundation.
On Tuesday, Oregon Tech president, Dr. Nagi Naganathan, shared his long-term vision with faculty and staff, and the university’s progress on short-term goals. The long-term vision covered areas of focus such as campus-specific enrollment and program growth; industry engagement to expand university research and student and graduate opportunities; donor engagement; and advancing reputational capital.
Activities continue throughout the week and include a special New Student Orientation (NSO) brunch with faculty, and events throughout campus and Klamath Falls. New students begin the NSO activities with move-in day on Wednesday and continue through Sunday until classes begin on Monday.
In addition to welcoming new faculty and staff at the annual convocation breakfast, awards were presented to personnel for outstanding service to students and to the university and each awardee received a check for either $500 or $1,000 from the Oregon Tech Foundation; some also received a free parking pass and dedicated parking spot on campus.
Awards presented this year include:
- Student Affairs Most Valuable Partner Award: Nellie Stewart, Executive Assistant for Academic Assessment
- Foundation Excellence in Teaching Awards: Andria Fultz, Assistant Professor of Communication and Irina Demeshko, Associate Professor of Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Foundation Faculty Achievement Awards: Dr. Trevor Petersen, Assistant Professor of Humanities and Social Sciences and Allan Douglas, Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering and Renewable Energy Engineering
- Oregon Tech Rising Faculty Scholar Award: Dr. Charles “CJ” Riley, Associate Professor of Civil Engineering, with honorable mention given to Dr. Kari Lundgren, Assistant Professor of Communication
- Classified Staff Award: Eileen Mudgett, Office Specialist in Business Management
- President’s Staff Award: Josie Hudspeth, Associate Director of Campus Life and Multicultural Inclusion Programs
Each awardee was selected through nomination letters which outlined their commitment to the university and their dedication to making a difference in the lives of students, which adds significantly to the vitality of Oregon Tech.