Frequently Asked Questions

What is DegreeWorks?

“DegreeWorks” is a computerized degree audit program and academic advising tool designed to assist you and advisors in reviewing your degree progress. A Web-based program, DegreeWorks reorganizes your transcript chronologically and categorically, easily identifying courses you have completed and what courses you still need in order to fulfill your degree requirements.

What are the benefits in using DegreeWorks?

DegreeWorks will help you:

  • Determine what requirements you need to fulfill in order to complete your degree.
  • Determine which courses you have taken or transferred, and which ones count as electives.
  • View transfer credits, waivers, and exemptions applied toward degree.
  • See how your coursework could be applied toward another major, minor, or concentration using the ‘What If’ option.
  • Estimate how many quarters it will take you to graduate.
  • Learn the prerequisites and corequisites for courses by clicking on the course numbers.

Who will be able to use DegreeWorks?

Both advisors and students will be able to use the system as an advising tool to better follow the student's progress and determine which requirements are still needed.

How do I access DegreeWorks?

DegreeWorks can be accessed through Web for Student/Faculty (Banner Self-Serve). Login as normal using your Student ID number and PIN. Click on Student Menu – Student Records – Student DegreeWorks Audit.

What does the * asterisk after a course represent?

When you see the asterisk appear after the course prefix and number (MATH 251*), the course has a prerequisite.

Click on the course to see the prerequisite(s) along with other course information.

What do I do if my Major is incorrect?

Please complete the Major Change/Add Minor form. To get to this form, log in to Web for Student, click on Student Menu, Student Records, then Major Change/Add Minor. You can also use this form to update your catalog year, add a minor, specialization, certificate, or declare an emphasis.

What do I do if my Catalog Year is incorrect?

Please complete the Major Change/Add Minor form. To get to this form, log in to Web for Student, click on Student Menu, Student Records, then Major Change/Add Minor. You can also use this form to add a minor, specialization, certificate, or declare an emphasis. Your catalog year cannot precede your first year at Oregon Tech but can be any year thereafter.

What if information in DegreeWorks isn't up to date?

There could be many reasons that information in DegreeWorks is not up to date. One is that DegreeWorks may not have been refreshed since a change was made (information is refreshed nightly) to a student record. Second, there could be some paperwork that must be completed. For example, if a grade change is pending, it is possible the form has not reached the Registrar's Office. Check with the Registrar's Office regarding information not being up to date.

When can I use my DegreeWorks audit?

Use your DegreeWorks Audit when:

  • Reviewing your progress with an academic or major advisor.
  • Creating a list of questions to discuss with your advisor.
  • Identifying courses that need to be completed.
  • Selecting courses that meet your degree requirements.
  • Determining a projected graduation date.
  • Choosing a major.
  • Deciding whether to add a minor.

When should a student/advisor review a degree audit?

A degree audit can be reviewed at any time but it is recommended to do so at least four times a quarter:

  • Before registration.
  • After registration to ensure courses apply to program requirements.
  • After grades for each quarter are posted.
  • Any time changes are made to a record.

Why am I receiving an error when I run a 'What If' scenario?

The 'What If' tool requires that you make a selection in the "Major" field. Failure to select a major will result in error.

Is DegreeWorks the same as my transcript?

No, DegreeWorks is an unofficial audit of your coursework, as well as an outline of requirements still needed to complete your program of study.

Can I register for classes in DegreeWorks?

No, DegreeWorks is a snapshot of courses in-progress and in your academic history. Registration processes are still handled through already established procedures.

Can I change a major through DegreeWorks?

No, you must contact the Advising Coordinator of the major you wish to switch to and they will change your major.  

Or, you can complete the Major Change/Add Minor form. To get to this form, log in to Web for Student, click on Student Menu, Student Records, then Major Change/Add Minor. You can also use this form to update your catalog year, add a minor, specialization, certificate, or declare an emphasis.

Are my grades visible in DegreeWorks?

Yes, once grades have been processed at the end of the quarter, they are visible in DegreeWorks.

Does the DegreeWorks audit show all of my courses even if I have taken them elsewhere?

Yes, all courses transferred in from other colleges, taken in the military, or granted for Advanced Placement should show on your degree audit. Certain courses may not be applied to your major if you have exceeded the allowable number of credits under the residency requirement.

Why isn't my transfer work meeting a requirement?

There could be three reasons. First, the course did not meet either the minimum number of credits and/or minimum grade requirement for use in your program of study. Second, all requirements have been met and this course is simply not needed. Third, the course may have not been transferred in yet, so make sure we have your most current transfer college transcripts.

Why are my transfer credits "TRAN 99999"?

Your transfer credits were entered as a block of credits when you first started at Oregon Tech. We tried to fix that, but must have missed your record. Please contact our transcript evaluators, Erin Williams (A-L) at 541.885.1302 or email her at; or Christina Martinez (M-Z) at 541.885.1301 or email her at

Why is DegreeWorks not displaying my Emphasis?

If your major is Applied Psychology or Environmental Sciences you are required to declare an emphasis. DegreeWorks will not display your emphasis until you have declared it.  
To declare your emphasis, please e-mail: your name, student ID number, and your desired emphasis to

What is the ‘What If’ feature?

The ‘What If’ function allows you to hypothetically change your major, minor, or emphasis (sometimes known as concentration). The 'What If' audit will show you what coursework is required for the new major, minor, or emphasis, what courses you have taken that satisfy requirements, and what courses would be left for you to take.

Can my advisor see my ‘What If’ scenario?

Since ‘What If’ scenarios are not stored on DegreeWorks, your advisor can only see your results if the two of you work through a ‘What If’ procedure together.

Is a DegreeWorks audit tied into the Degree Petition Process?

No, the student must submit an Application for Degree to the Registrar’s Office two terms prior to their anticipated graduation. DegreeWorks will help the student see as they are getting closer to graduate. 

I think my audit is incorrect. What should I do?

Please ask for help from your advisor or the Registrar's Office immediately! While we have done everything we could to make sure that your worksheet is correct, it is impossible for us to predict every unique situation or problem. We want to work with you to correct any issues as soon as possible. The first step is to clarify what information you believe is wrong. These are the most common problems and solutions: 

My major is wrong and/or my concentration doesn't appear on my worksheet. 
If this is the case, you need to contact your department office and update your major and concentration information or complete the Major Change/Add Minor. To get to this form, log in to Web for Student, click on Student Menu, Student Records, then Major Change/Add Minor.
Once the Registrar’s Office enters the change, your correct information should appear on your worksheet.

The requirements for my major are wrong. Look at the catalog term that appears on each of the blue bars that separate the sections of your worksheet. This is the catalog that we believe you’re using to complete your requirements. If you're actually using older or newer requirements, complete our Information Update form. Once the changes are entered, the correct information will appear on your worksheet.

My transfer courses don't appear in the right place. If you’re concerned about a course that should be used for your degree, contact your advisor about submitting a course substitution. The change will be made after the Registrar’s Office receives your approved course substitution form.

My advisor or department chair gave me permission to substitute a course, but it's not showing on my audit. Talk with your advisor. Since departments approve student's substitutions, most changes related to your major have not been sent to the Registrar's Office. We'll gladly make the change as soon as we receive permission to do so from your advisor and department chair.

If none of these problems describes your situation, or if you need additional help identifying what’s wrong, contact the Registrar’s Office at or stop by our office in Snell Hall. Because some issues will require some research and possibly some reprogramming, please understand that we may not be able to correct your issue immediately. We do promise, though, that we will address it as quickly as possible and that we’ll contact you by e-mail as soon as we’re done.