Registration is currently open for part 1 of our EMT Course.
This 5 credit course meets over winter term on Tuesday, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 6:30 to 9:20 pm. Class begins January 6, 2015. Part 2 takes place over spring term. For more information please view our EMS fact sheet to the right.
EMS Department Information
We are a nationally recognized leader in EMS education offering one of the few university programs in the country with joint degree programs between a leading technology university (Oregon Tech) and a medical school (Oregon Health and Science University). Located primarily at the Oregon Tech Wilsonville campus, the department is a unique partnership between the two renowned institutions, and had its origin as an offshoot of the medical school training programs at Oregon Health and Science University in 1977.
Our program offers a diversified educational experience designed to develop strong field provider skills, as well as management and leadership training within EMS. Students with the discipline and drive to successfully complete our programs, earn eligibility for both state and national licensing exams, and find employment with leading agencies across the Nation. Please see the degree maps for a more specific idea of our curriculum from our various degree options.
Degree and Certificates Offered
- EMT Certification
- Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) Paramedic
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Emergency Medical Services Management
EMT Certification and AAS Degree in Paramedicine
The Paramedic program is a joint Oregon Tech / OHSU program designed to prepare graduates for entry-level paramedic positions wherever Advanced Life Support (ALS) skills are required. After graduation students are eligible for the state and national exams.
About Our Program
AAS degree in Paramedicine – We are excited to now offer the entire first year and second year coursework for the first time in our progam history! This 2-year Associates degree is functionally divided into two segments.
First Year Courses
These courses are designed to provide a solid foundation for success in your professional paramedic training or in any Allied Health career path, and primarily consist of:
- Anatomy and Physiology Series (BIO 231, 232, 233). Some unique features about our A & P course series is that it has cadaver elements and is taught by a PhD level faculty member who is also a practicing paramedic. This enables instruction that includes relevant clinical context for many of the anatomy and physiology concepts that can be particularly difficult for beginning students.
- EMS coursework including:
- Emergency Medical Technician Basic course 1 and 2
- Introduction to EMS course
- Medical Terminology
- General Education classes – please see the course map for the various general education courses that are required during this phase of your training.
Second Year Courses
This is the traditional professional paramedic training year consisting of a full time 12-month (4 terms) sequence. The 12 months are comprised into three main segments:
- Rigorous academic didactic course work;
- Clinical rotations at a variety of departments at OHSU as well as other regional hospitals;
- 12-Week Externship. We have externship contracts with most local agencies as well as many agencies across the county if you would like to experience EMS in another part of the country to complete the program. Previous internship sites include locations in Oregon, Washington, Texas, Kansas, Missouri and North Carolina and can change from year to year.
Tuition and Fees
Please see the attached tuition and fees document linked on the website for the latest costs. Tuition and fees are subject to change.
In addition to tuition and fees, students are responsible for the costs of background checks, Immunizations, Drug screens, textbooks, stethoscope, eye protection, FISDAP account, uniforms, scrubs, state license fees and national exams.
Students are also required to have major medical insurance. Oregon Tech offers a policy for students that cost approximately $450 per term. Major Medical insurance may be waived with proof of health insurance.
A student seeking admission who anticipates the need for financial aid should contact Oregon Tech immediately. Do not wait for an "admission offer" to apply for aid as funds are awarded as available. Please direct financial aid questions to Oregon Tech, Klamath Falls. The direct number is 541.885.1280 or 1.800.422.2017. Email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.