Application Materials for MS in Marriage and Family Therapy
Applicants are required to provide information about their academic and interpersonal skills, their interest in the field of Marriage and Family Therapy, and their emotion stability, maturity, and integrity.
- Bachelor’s degree in the social sciences, with a minimum 3.00 GPA for the last 90 quarter credits (60 semester credits) of coursework.
- Applicants must hold or be in the process of completing a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution or the foreign equivalent. One official transcript must be submitted from each post-secondary institution attended regardless of the length of study or the number of courses taken. This includes all college level credit earned while in high school or participating in study abroad programs. Transcripts stamped “Issued to Student” are not considered official.
- Applicants who hold a baccalaureate degree in a field unrelated to the social sciences must complete the following coursework, or approved course equivalents, before beginning the program. These courses are offered at Oregon Tech in the Spring and Summer terms:
- Research Methods
- Introduction to Psychology or Social Psychology
- Human Sexuality
- GRE Score
- GRE scores are highly recommended
- If GRE scores are unavailable, at least one of three required letters of recommendation must speak directly to the applicant’s academic and interpersonal skills
- Personal Essay
Your personal essay is an opportunity for you to tell us about yourself, your interest in becoming a marriage and family therapist and why Oregon Tech's MS MFT program is a good fit for you. It's also an opportunity for you to demonstrate your writing skills.
Graduate School Essay Tips, Lynn Friedman, Ph.D.
In a personal essay of no more than 1500 words, using APA format
, please address the following:
- Who are you? How have your life experiences shaped you?
- Why do you want to become a marriage and family therapist? Why now?
- Why is Oregon Tech's MFT program of interest to you?
- What are your academic strengths and challenges? Discuss your skills as an active critical learner, your ability to write, and your ability to participate in experiential learning.
- How do you want to contribute to the field upon completing your degree?
Graduate School Application Resume Example
- Three letters of recommendation and recommendation forms
To be completed by persons who are professionally qualified to recommend you for the field of professional mental health care / marriage and family therapy. Letters of recommendation from friends or relatives are not acceptable.
Getting Recommendation Letters for Graduate School, Dennis Jackson, Ph.D.
- Criminal Background Check
Acceptance into the MS MFT program is conditional upon passing a formal criminal background check.