General Rules of Use of the Shaw Historical Library
- Do not remove any materials belonging to the Library from the premises.
- You must register before using library materials and show appropriate identification (any official identification with a photograph).
- You may not eat or drink in the Library.
- Please leave backpacks, bags, briefcases, purses, and other materials not essential to work in the designated area.
- Please use only pencils while making notes.
- Photocopying and scanning of materials is possible through a request. Photocopying may be limited for preservation or copyright reasons.
- Inform the library staff if materials are found to be out of order, misdated, missing or in need of repair.
- Anyone under the age of 16 must be closely supervised by an adult.
Using Book Collections
- Read the books at the table with the book's spine supported.
- Be careful not to exert pressure on books by resting an arm on the books or by writing notes on top of books.
- Turn pages carefully to avoid damage. Place pencils down when turning pages.
Using Manuscript Collections
- Open one box at a time.
- Maintain the order of materials in which you find them. Remove one file at a time and use place markers.
- Do not remove documents from the folders.
- Do not place writing paper over materials when taking notes.
- Turn pages in a manner that will not tear or bend them. Place pencils down when turning pages.
- Mark the items you wish to be photocopied with a placeholder.
- Ask the library staff about the guidelines for citing manuscript materials.
- Follow the guidelines in footnotes, endnotes and bibliographies citing the Shaw Historical Library materials.
- Permission to examine manuscripts and photocopies of materials is not an authorization to publish the materials. Requests for permission to publish must be made separately on forms provided for that purpose (see the form below).
Using Image Collections
- Wear cotton gloves provided by the library when handling photographs.
- Remove only one photograph from its sleeve at a time.
- Maintain the order of the photographs in the box.
- Photographic reproduction is available upon request. Policies and request forms for image reproduction are available from library staff.