Release of student records at Oregon Institute of Technology is bound by federal law (FERPA), the Oregon Revised Statutes and by the Oregon Administrative Rules. FERPA stands for Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, it restricts the type of information the university can share with students, individuals (including parents) and entities outside Oregon Tech; unless specifically authorized, in writing, by the student. Students may obtain file authorization/disclosure forms at the Registrar's Office.
However, FERPA allows an institution to define "directory information" that can be released. Consent from a student is not generally required for the release of directory information and it may be viewed and released to the public, unless the student has placed a confidentiality restriction on its release.
Oregon Tech designates the following items as Directory Information:
- Current address
- Student name
- Current telephone number
- Dates of attendance
- Classification (year in school)
- Major field of study
- Most recent previous school attended
- Degrees and awards received (including dates)
- Past and present participation in officially recognized activities and sports
- And for members of athletic teams: age, height and weight.