The Medical Laboratory Science professional program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS), 5600 North River Road, Suite 720, Rosemont, Illinois 60018-5119. (773) 714-8880.
The mission of the Medical Laboratory Science Degree, a Bachelor of Science program, is to educate, train, and graduate professionally competent and ethical individuals, committed to life-long learning, and who are prepared to meet current and future workplace challenges in medical laboratory science.
Program Educational Objectives
- are professionally competent;
- possess a commitment to life-long learning;
- exhibit a sense of commitment to the ethical and humane aspects of patient care;
- appreciate the need for research to develop knowledge of health, disease, healthcare management and education;
- recognize the role of the clinical laboratory scientist in the assurance of quality health care
Program Student Learning Outcomes
- competency to perform a full range of testing in the contemporary medical laboratory encompassing pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical components of laboratory services, including hematology, chemistry, microbiology, urinalysis, body fluids, molecular diagnostics, phlebotomy, and immunohematology
- proficiency to problem-solve, troubleshoot, and interpret results, and use statistical approaches when evaluating data
- professional conduct, respecting the feelings and needs of others, protecting the confidence of patient information, and not allowing personal concerns and biases to interfere with the welfare of patients
- administrative skills consistent with philosophies of quality assurance, continuous quality improvement, laboratory education, fiscal resource management, and appropriate composure under stressful conditions
- application of safety and governmental regulations and standards as applied to medical laboratory practice
- effective communication skill to ensure accurate and appropriate information transfer
Summary of Program Student Learning Outcomes
During the 2016-17 academic year, the Medical Laboratory Science faculty formally assessed the student learning outcomes summarized in the annual program assessment report. Additional details can be found in department assessment records.
Program Curriculum Map
The curriculum map for the Medical Laboratory Science program can be found on the program's web page on the Oregon Tech website, www.oit.edu/catalog.