The Medical Laboratory Science professional program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS), 5600 North River Road, Suite 720, Rosemont, Illinois 60018-5119. (773) 714-8880.
The mission of the Medical Laboratory Science Degree, a Bachelor of Science program, is to educate, train, and graduate professionally competent and ethical individuals, committed to life-long learning, and who are prepared to meet current and future workplace challenges in medical laboratory science.
Program Educational Objectives
Upon completion of the Oregon Tech • OHSU MLS program, a student will have had the opportunity to acquire the knowledge and skills required to demonstrate professional attributes of a Medical Laboratory Scientist. Successful completion of the program will allow students to pursue career opportunities in various laboratory settings including but not limited to medical, research and development, sales, management and public health.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
- Competency to perform a full range of testing in the contemporary medical laboratory encompassing pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical components of laboratory services, including immunology, hematology, clinical chemistry, immunohematology, microbiology, molecular, hemostasis, urinalysis, body fluids, parasitology, mycology, virology, and other emerging diagnostic venues.
- Proficiency to problem-solve, troubleshoot, and interpret results, and use statistical approaches when evaluating data.
- Professional and ethical conduct, respecting the culture and diversity of individual preference of others, protecting the confidence of patient information, and never allowing personal concerns and biases to interfere with the welfare of patients.
- Maintaining appropriate composure under stressful conditions.
- Administrative skills consistent with philosophies of quality assurance, continuous quality improvement, laboratory education, fiscal resource management.
- Application of safety and governmental regulations and standards as applied to medical laboratory pratice.
- Effective communication skills to ensure accurate and appropriate information transfer.
Program Curriculum Map
The curriculum map for the Medical Laboratory Science program can be found on the program's web page on the Oregon Tech website, www.oit.edu/catalog.