TOP: TRIO Student Support Services
Current TOP students:
- Students will meet with their TOP Academic Specialists for regular advising appointments via phone, Zoom, text and e-mail.
- Tutoring services will be provided by the Peer Consulting Center online via Zoom. Read more.
- Peer mentoring will be provided to current TOP students via text, e-mail and Zoom.
- Academic workshops will be delivered in a webinar and video format.
- Extra-curricular social events will be conducted via social media. Detailed communication regarding these efforts will be sent to all current TOP students' e-mails.
- All TOP staff is available to assist students during regular work hours, Monday - Friday from 8 am to 5 pm. Please use the contact section below reach out to any of the staff members.
- Please use the "Apply" button below to submit a PDF application online.
- Once submitted, our staff will contact your within a week to notify you of the next steps.
- If you have any questions about your TOP application, please contact: Sarah Engelgau at 541 851 5179 or email@example.com.
We power the potential of first-generation students, low-income students, and students with disabilities. Our dedicated staff provides services and support in the following areas:
- One-on-one and group tutoring
- Academic, career, and financial aid planning
- Peer mentoring and networking with other students
- College success classes, faculty-led sessions, and workshops
- Assistance with applying for financial aid, scholarships, and grants
- Community building and cultural events
The Summer Bridge program is designed to help non-traditional and transfer students transition to Oregon Tech. This free program takes place just before the start of the fall term and offers a great opportunity to meet Oregon Tech faculty, staff and students.
Student Success Seminars
Freshmen in TOP participate in a three-term student success seminar intended to foster their transition to Oregon Tech. The class is offered at no cost to students.
We offer a wide variety of workshops on topics from financial literacy, study skills, and academics to career planning and professional development. We strive to offer at least one workshop a week throughout the academic year.
TOP students can access money management, budgeting, and financial planning tools and tips through the Owls' Worth Program. Additionally, TOP students have free access to SALT, which provides financial tutorials, templates, and strategies tailored specifically for college students.
Zach Jones, Program Director
I help students power their potential by listening, guiding, opening doors, and promoting self-advocacy. As a first-generation college student and former TRIO student, I recognize firsthand the transformative power that TOP and programs like it possess in helping students achieve their personal and professional goals. So, I’m really excited to ‘pay it forward’ by continuing to support students throughout their journey here at Oregon Tech.
I have a bachelor’s degree in History from Western Oregon University and a master’s degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) from Portland State University. Born and raised in Coos Bay, OR, in my free time, I love to play guitar, kayak the Klamath Basin, and explore southern Oregon with my partner and my french bulldog, Wesley.
Brianna Schwenk, Academic Specialist
I work side by side with students to encourage and support them through their time at Oregon Tech. I am passionate about empowering students to reach their potential.
Sarah Engelgau, Office Manager
Sarah Engelgau moved to Klamath Falls from Portland when she was three years old. She has a seven year old daughter that keeps her busy, and on her toes all of the time. She is currently attending school for accounting at Klamath Community College and her goal after she’s finished at KCC is to continue her education with the online program through Oregon State University for business administration.
She absolutely loves Oregon, and enjoys being in the outdoors any chance she gets. She loves to travel with her daughter, and take her to new places, even if it’s a quick day trip somewhere. During her free time she enjoys photography, and spending time with her family. She is very glad for the opportunity to be a part of the Oregon Tech team, and excited for a new adventure.
Desiré Wooten, Academic Specialist
As a first-generation college student, I placed a lot of subconscious pressure on myself to overachieve. In addition to the normal stress of college, this made the path to success for me fraught with fear and anxiety. I don't ever want our students to experience this or experience this alone. Therefore, I am extremely excited and honored to be working in TOP. Doing so gives me the purposeful opportunity to help students achieve their educational, career, and personal goals by offering a wrap-around advising approach.
My college career began with path in psychology where I wanted to be a licensed marriage and family therapist. During my time in college, I held several Human Resources positions and decided to change my major. After graduating from Colorado State University Global campus with a B.S. in Human Resources Management, I landed a job in HR here at Oregon Tech. This provided me the opportunity to partner with our students on occasion. Over time, I realized my desire to work more closely with our students and was given the opportunity to take my professional experiences and marry them together to become a TOP Academic Specialist. In my spare time, I love going on road trips with my husband, cuddling with my two dogs and five cats, and shopping or doing crafts with my mom.
Oregon Institute of Technology is an EO/Title IX/504/ADA Institution
Oregon Institute of Technology does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, gender, religion, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or gender identity in its programs and activities. Questions or concerns regarding Oregon Tech’s nondiscrimination policies should be directed to Maureen De Armond, Associate Vice President for Human Resources, Title IX Compliance, and Affirmative Action (e: firstname.lastname@example.org; p: 541-885-1108) or Tanya Coty, ADA Coordinator (e: email@example.com; p: 541 885 1790).