Oregon Institute of Technology is accredited by Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, 8060 165th Ave. NE, Suite 100, Redmond, WA 98052-3981, an institutional accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and/or the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Education.
The Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Echocardiography and Vascular Technology programs are programmatically accredited through the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP), upon review of the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS).
Echocardiography - Goal and Mission Statement
To prepare competent entry-level adult cardiac sonographers in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains
Diagnostic Medical Sonography - Goal and Mission Statement
To prepare competent entry-level general sonographers in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains
Vascular Technology - Goal and Mission Statement
To prepare competent entry-level vascular sonographers in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains
The purpose of the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Degree Completion Program is to provide ARDMS registered Sonographers a Bachelor of Science degree from a distance education program that furthers the student's knowledge, clinical practice, and performance of examinations while practicing competent patient care and safety in the advanced modalities of Diagnostic Medical Sonography.
The program prepares students to:
- Employ diagnostic sonographic imaging techniques, critical thinking skills, effective communication skills, and professional judgment.
- Effectively apply ergonomically correct scanning techniques.
- Successfully complete nationally recognized credential examinations.
- Develop a dedication to independent lifelong learning and professional contribution.
- Utilize diagnostic techniques, sound judgment and good decision making to provide patient services.
- Be leaders in the field of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers who contribute to the field on a local, regional or national level.
- Think critically, communicate effectively and exemplify professional ethics.
- Become lifelong learners and responsible citizens.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates will be able to demonstrate:
- Effective oral, visual, and written communication skills.
- The ability to work effectively in teams.
- The ability to provide basic patient care and comfort while utilizing ethical, professionalism and HIPAA guidelines.
- Knowledge and understanding of human gross and sectional anatomy relative to normal and abnormal sonographic imaging.
- Knowledge and understanding of human physiology, pathology and pathophysiology.
- Knowledge and understanding of ultrasound physical principles and instrumentation.
- Knowledge of sonographic biological effects, proper application of sonographic instrumentation relative to imaging and image quality.
- Appropriate ergonomic scanning applications.
- An understanding of diverse cultural and humanistic traditions in the global society.
Summary of Program Student Learning Outcomes
During the 2016-17 academic year, the program faculty formally assessed the student learning outcomes summarized in the annual program report. Additional details can be found in department assessment records.
Program Curriculum Map
The curriculum map for the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Degree Completion program can be found on the catalog web page on the Oregon Tech website, www.oit.edu/catalog.