Need to hire a student employee?
Career Services now partners with Payroll and HR to facilitate Student Employment. Career Services manages the recruitment of students via Handshake, and you are required to post your job to Handshake. Below is information you will need to post a student job.
Here is a summary of why we have our posting process in place:
- Student employees are employees of the university and are thus subject to university recruiting rules.
- We make positions visible to ALL students via Handshake to ensure equity and access to employment opportunities. We do this both because we are subject to equal employment (EEOC) regulations, and because it is the right thing to do.
- Faculty and staff may hire who they prefer if the students are equally qualified, but ALL students must have the opportunity to apply. It’s possible that an even more qualified applicant might surface that the faculty/staff member was not aware of.
- Faculty and staff must be able to defend that the applicant they chose was the most qualified applicant. Writing a more detailed job description when you post can be helpful in this regard.
You do NOT need to create an account on Handshake. Career Services does the work for you. If you need to make changes to your job, just let us know.
- Go to this link (or click Hootie to the right) to complete your posting request. We will post your job within 2 business days. If you need to make changes to your posted job, such as extending the recruiting period, email Jennifer Kass or Sarah Moore.
- Once your job is posted, Career Services sends you an email with information you will need to hire your student.
- You will then get an email from Payroll with information about how to hire your student. Retain this until you have selected a student to hire.
- You may specify in your posting request how you would like students to apply. You are not required to have students apply via Handshake, but it is a best practice.
- We want students to become accustomed to creating resumes and/or cover letters, and we encourage you to have students use these documents to apply.
- Application forms: we can specify a URL in your posting, but we cannot attach a form.
- You will get an email from Handshake when a student applies for your job, with their application documents. There is no need to log in to Handshake to view applications. However, if you ever have questions about applications, just ask!
- Retain all application materials/emails for one year.
AFTER YOU SELECT A STUDENT - HIRING
- Visit the Student Employment page. Complete the Student Hiring Form under the HIRE heading. Your request will be routed for approvals.
- You will receive an email from Payroll Services at the time the student employee is cleared to work.
- It is a best practice to notify students who were not selected in a timely fashion.
Note: For information about minimum wage, visit the Bureau of Labor and Industry (BOLI) website at this link.
WANT TO VIEW HANDSHAKE AS A STUDENT?
To explore Handshake from a student perspective, and to see current opportunities that are relevant for your students:
For further questions about recruiting student employees: Jennifer Kass Jennifer.Kass@oit.edu
For questions about hiring and paying student employees: Karen Blevins or Mary Chivers - email@example.com
For questions about training, supervising, or other aspects of student employment: Human Resources – firstname.lastname@example.org
Looking for career development resources for your students?
We have added many resources to our website to help your students. Please explore links on this page to see what is available to them, and encourage your students to use them.