Typical Undergraduate Course Requirements for medical school admission for OHSU, other medical schools are similar but may differ somewhat.
- Biology — One academic year of general biology to include one genetics course. Laboratories are recommended.
- Chemistry — One course each of general chemistry, organic chemistry and biochemistry. Laboratories are recommended. (Since undergraduate curricula vary from school to school, in fulfilling this requirement it is implied that the required prerequisite sequences in general and organic chemistry will have been completed in order to take the biochemistry course.)
- Physics — One academic year of general physics. Laboratories are recommended.
- Mathematics — One mathematics course (not including statistics). A course in statistics is strongly recommended.
- Humanities, Social Sciences and English — Two academic years of humanities and/or social sciences to include one course in English composition (or equivalent writing emphasis).
Most schools require a Bachelor's degree prior to starting medical school.
Important Sources of Information:
- MSAR: Medical School Admission Requirements, published by Association of American Medical Colleges; ISBN: 1-57754-014-X
- American Association of Medical Colleges:
- American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS)
MCAT (Medical College Aptitude Test)
Administered on about 24 dates from January to early September. Format:
- Physical sciences
- 70 minutes, 52 questions on physics and general chemistry
- Verbal reasoning
- 60 minutes, 40 questions
- Writing sample
- 60 minutes, 2 questions
- Biological sciences
- 70 minutes, 52 questions on general biology and organic chemistry
- Total time ~5.5 hours
For more details, see Association of American Medical Colleges
There are over 125 accredited allopathic medical schools in the US and 16 medical schools in Canada that are affiliate institutional members of the AAMC.
The admissions cycle starts June 1, 15 months prior to entering medical school. Closing dates for applications vary depending on the school. (Oct. 15 at OHSU)
The Early Decision Program allows exceptional students to apply to one medical school by August 1 to receive confirmed acceptance by October 1 of the year prior to entrance.
"Local" Medical Schools
Oregon: OHSU (Portland)
California: UC Davis, UCLA, UC San Diego, UC San Francisco, Loma Linda University, USC, Stanford University
Idaho: see WWAMI
Nevada: University of Nevada (Reno)
Washington: University of Washington (Seattle)
WICHE (Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education): in-state tuition for residents of Montana and Wyoming
WWAMI: Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho students admitted to University of Washington at in-state tuition
Options: see MSAR for details
Combined M.D. - Ph.D. Programs
Combined M.D. - J.D. Programs
Combined M.D. - MBA Programs