The Tuition Recommendation Committee is responsible for recommending the tuition and mandatory fee rates to the President who must in turn report and recommend mandatory tuition and fee to the Board of Trustees in accordance with ORS 352.102. The Board of Trustees shall request that the President transmit to the Board the joint tuition recommendation of the President and the recognized student government.
This committee is comprised of six students representing both campuses and appointed by the ASOIT president(s), two of which represent ASOIT and two of which represent historically underserved students of the university, as defined by the university; the Fiscal Operations Advisory Council (FOAC) chair and at least two administrators. Any changes to the Committee structure required by ORS 352.102, subsequent controlling statutes or Board Policy may be made without notification. The President shall designate one member to chair the committee.
Before making any recommendation to increase tuition and mandatory fees but especially when the proposed increase is more than five percent annually, the Committee must document its consideration of the impact on students, and the necessity of the increase in achieving the mission of the University. The Committee shall provide meaningful opportunities for members of the student government and students at large to participate in the process and deliberations.
The committee will meet at least twice during January – February. Its meetings shall be open to the public and broad notification of the meetings shall be made to the university community. The committee will consider the guidelines provided by the Board, information provided by the Administration, and such other matters as shall seem appropriate.
- Consider long-term factors when recommending the single year decisions (important to have a forward looking vision)
- Recognize the importance of affordability for students
- Tuition levels should be developed using data and information, including internal budget, comparator institutions, and external cost indices.
- Ensure we maintain the current service level, quality and support that Oregon Tech provides to students.
- Communicate openly and transparently with all stakeholders at an appropriate level of detail
- The committee will utilize data and information throughout the process
- Communicate respectfully and ask questions