Oregon Institute of Technology (Oregon Tech) faculty and staff members were welcomed back Sept. 20 with convocation events, including award presentations and preparation for the start of Fall Term.
Convocation marks the traditional beginning of the academic year and covers the new measures in place to work toward a safe and healthy academic year as classes begin on Sept. 28.
The ceremony also serves as a proud reminder of faculty and staff's tremendous depth of knowledge and their commitment to the Oregon Tech community. Employees were presented with awards to honor their exceptional contributions to the University and students.
Awards presented this year include:
- Oregon Tech Rising Faculty Scholar Award: Dr. Riley Richards, Assistant Professor of Communication
- Oregon Tech Foundation Faculty Achievement Awards: Dr. Franny Howes, Department Chair and Associate Professor of Communication, and Dan Carrere, Assistant Professor of Business Management - Cybersecurity
- Oregon Tech Foundation Excellence in Teaching Awards: Dr. David Hammond, Associate Professor of Mathematics, and Dr. John Ritter, Professor Emeritus of Geomatics
- Classified Staff Award: Christy Leventon, Office Specialist in the College of Engineering, Technology, and Management
- President’s Staff Award: Ashlie Pence, Assistant Registrar
- Student Affairs Most Valuable Partner Award: Sarah Henderson-Wong, Benefits Leave & Wellness Manager
Awardees were selected through nomination letters that outlined their commitment to the university and their dedication to making a difference in the lives of students and co-workers.